Science in Focus
A photography competition at ISF 2023, which encourages people to showcase their photography skills.
Photography has emerged as a powerful tool to tell stories of science and simplify scientific ideas and concepts that are difficult to capture through words. Through ‘Science in Focus’, we are seeking compelling visual stories on the theme of ‘everyday science’. Science is not just confined to research labs or classrooms, it’s a way to make better sense of the world around us and to help solve our many problems. This competition will allow participants to share their encounters with science in everyday life.
Professional science photographers will be engaged as mentors and judges for the contest.
The shortlisted entries will be showcased at an exhibition.
Additional information on the competition:
- The finalists’ entries will be displayed in an online exhibition as well as in an offline mode, (on the ISF grounds)
- The contest is free to enter, and open to all members of the public. Entries must be submitted by 31st October 2022, 23:59 PM IST. Submissions will not be accepted once the deadline lapses.
- Images must be taken in 2022 and entries should be based on contest guidelines. Images should be supplied at as high a resolution as possible (for printing up to A1 minimum), suitable for printing in media and an exhibition. Images must be supplied in a clean format (e.g. no text, symbols, and borders). Images should be no larger than 10 MB. Photos must be in JPEG format.
- Each participant can submit up to two images. Judging will be based on the single image and not the series of images.
- Each image must be accompanied with the name of contributor(s), title of the image, story behind the image (a brief lay description of the image preferably in the form of a story, of not more than 80 words.)
- ISF may run an online rating process whereby members of the public may vote for a favourite photograph.
- Basic editing, including colour enhancement, the use of filters, and cropping is acceptable. Advanced editing used to create illusions, deceptions and/or manipulations, and the adding/ removing of significant elements within the frame is prohibited.
- The decision of the Judges and ISF is final and no negotiation will be entertained with respect to any such decision.
- Photo entries will be stored in the ISF image database and duly acknowledged if used for organisational or educational purposes.
- Entries containing any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libellous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic or profane content shall be automatically disqualified.
Last date of Submission: 31st October 2022 11.59 pm IST
Announcement of finalists: 15th November 2022
Exhibition: 20th to 22nd January 2023 at India Science Festival in Hyderabad
Announcement of winners: February 2023
Exciting cash prizes will be awarded to the top 3 entries.
1. Do I need to have to be a professional photographer to participate?
– Anyone interested in photography is welcome to enter this contest!
2. Do I need to have a professional camera/ equipment to participate?
– No, you can use any photography equipment, this includes a DSLR/ Digital camera or a mobile phone.
3. Will ISF get the copyright for my photograph?
– No, the photographer will retain the copyrights of their entries. ISF will not claim copyright over the photographs.
4. Can I submit entries in black and white?
5. Can I enter a photograph that I have submitted for other competitions?
For any queries, please contact Utsav Thapliyal at email@example.com.